Statistics Show: Too Many Not Visiting Dentist
Millions of Americans visit the dentist every day. Millions of Americans do not visit the dentist every day. Either one makes perfect sense. But how do we know if people are going to the dentist consistently? The Health Policy Institute (HPI) of the American Dental Association (ADA) conducts research on dental-related topics, including the consistency of dental visits in the US.
STATISTICS ON ADULT DENTAL VISITS
While there are a higher percentage of people who visit the dentist on a regular basis, there is still a large percentage that do not. The HPI, in a recent study, discovered that only slightly more than 50% (52.3%) of adults consistently visited their dentist on the recommended basis (every six months), while the rest were either inconsistent, or just didn’t go. Here are those statistics:
- 15.4% indicated they visited their dentist once per year;
- 11% indicated they visited their dentist only once every two or three years;
- 21.3% alarmingly indicated they had not visited their dentist in the past few years.
STATISTICS ON CHILD DENTAL VISITS
These statistics show that nearly 50% of adults do not hold their dental visits as high priority. The following statistics show that this mentality is better, but not much better with parents who have children under the age of 18:
- 64.6% indicated that their children had consistently visited their dentist on the recommended basis (every six months);
- 20.3% indicated they had visited their dentist only once in the past year;
- 4.4% indicated they had visited their dentist only once in the past two or three years;
- 10.7% indicated they had not visited their dentist at all in the past few years.
Ultimately, there is just an approximate 10% difference in adults ensuring they consistently visit their dentist and the children who consistently visit their dentist. This percentage difference is not wide enough to ensure that more people are growing up understanding the importance of going to the dentist.
At Centra Dental in Houston, we educate all of our patients - children and adults - on the importance of consistently visiting the dentist. Be certain to schedule your dental appointment every six months to keep your teeth as healthy as possible. Contact our Houston dental office today and schedule your appointment.