Pros and Cons of Traditional Orthodontic Retainers After Houston Braces
You’re approaching the end of your Houston braces treatment and whether you’re wearing Invisalign Clear Aligners, metal Houston braces, or ceramic dental braces, you are going to need to wear retainers after your treatment. You may wear them with reluctance, but you must wear your retainers in order to protect your investment in South Houston braces and keep your teeth straight. However, there are different types of orthodontic retainers that will meet different needs. In this blog post, we will discuss traditional retainers, otherwise known as Hawley retainers.
What Are Hawley Retainers
Hawley retainers are also referred to as removable retainers or wire retainers. They are made of two parts and two components–the acrylic plastic and the metal wire components. The acrylic plastic is shaped to fit the roof up your mouth and behind your lower teeth. The wire component runs across your teeth. Together, these retainers hold your teeth in place while your teeth settle in the soft tissues of your mouth. How long you wear it will depend on your particular case, but our South Houston family dentist will recommend what works best for you.
Pros and Cons of Wearing Hawley Retainers
As with our Houston braces, there are pros and cons associated with each option.
Pros of Removable Retainers
- Hawley retainers can be adjusted in case you need a better fit or if your teeth need a slight touch up in their alignment.
- Much like the wire that is placed across your Houston braces may break sometimes, Hawley retainers may break on a rare occasion as well, but the good news is that they are easily reparable.
- Both rows of your teeth will touch naturally, which makes this option a more comfortable one.
Cons of Removable Wire Retainers
- Because these retainers feel slightly bulky, your speech may sound off when wearing them.
- The way the wire is laid across your teeth makes it rather noticeable when you speak
- The wire may irritate your lips or cheeks when you first wear a removable retainer after your Houston braces treatment.
Our South Houston Family Dentist Will Determine Whether Traditional Removable Retainers Are Suitable For You
As you near the end of your Houston braces treatment, our South Houston family dentist will take impressions of your teeth so our lab can make your retainers. If we determine that Hawley retainers will work best for you, we will provide you with wearing guidelines. Please book an appointment with us for your next dental check-up so we can make the appropriate recommendation.