Today, more and more dentists are offering Invisalign Clear Aligners in addition to traditional metal braces and ceramic Houston braces. In this article, we will discuss how Invisalign differs from metal dental braces and what to keep in mind if you are considering inquiring about Invisalign treatment.
The Difference Between Invisalign And Metal Houston Braces
Metal braces are the traditional method of straightening the teeth and have been for many decades now. This is precisely why they are still trusted by many of our South Houston dentists’ patients today.
Metal braces are, of course, made of metal, so they are rather prominent. However, the good news is that today’s metal dental braces are much lighter in weight and color, so they are more comfortable to wear. Over the course of metal Houston braces treatment, our South Houston family dentist will regularly tighten the patient's archwire in order to guide the teeth to the correct position.
Invisalign, on the other hand, involves no wires. As their name implies, they are nearly invisible. Our patients’ custom aligner trays are made by doing a 3D scan of the patient's mouth and sending it, along with impressions, to our dental lab. Instead of tightening the archwire, we simply give patients a new aligner tray each time, which is slightly different in shape in order to move the teeth to the desired alignment.
The Pros Of Houston Invisalign Treatment
There are a number of “pros” that encourage patients to undergo Invisalign treatment, such as the fact that:
- Hardly anyone notices that a patient is undergoing any treatment, thanks to their clear design
- Invisalign Clear Aligners are removable anytime a patient wants to eat
- There are fewer (and shorter) appointments because our patients just need to put on their newest set instead of having to come in to get their wires cut and tightened
The Cons Of South Houston Invisalign Treatment
Along with many benefits, there are some downsides of Invisalign to consider before you decide you would like to undergo this treatment, including that:
- Their clear design means food particles are easily spotted when stuck between the teeth
- Food getting stuck between the teeth impedes the aligners from putting the right amount of pressure on the teeth
- The ability to remove Invisalign Clear Aligners means they can be lost if patients aren’t careful
- Invisalign must be strictly worn for 20-22 hours a day or else the desired alignment will not be achieved without extending the duration of treatment
Our South Houston Family Dentist Will Help You Decide If Invisalign Is Right For You
If you think you or your child may be a great candidate for Invisalign Clear Aligners, then please book an appointment with us so we can begin with an evaluation. At this Houston braces evaluation, we will examine your teeth to determine which is the best treatment plan for your smile.